Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The good days....

With dementia you never take for granted the good days. Things can change so quickly. I thought last week that I was going to have to find a new place for my mom and that is never fun. But after the care meeting at the nursing home, my mom should be able to stay there for a long time. It is nice to hear that the staff wishes they had a whole floor of Kathy's. They are actually taking her off some medicine and that is a change from the Assisted Living place, where they were using meds to manage behaviors that come along with Dementia. She now takes naps in the afternoon. I think she is making up for the past year or more. I do miss talking to her. I am grateful that she was a letter writer before the dementia and I hung on to all the ones she wrote me. But I miss our talks. If I had known this was going to happen, then I might have listened more and paid attention when she was giving me advice. The memories of how she was healthy are slowing being taken over by how she is now. So, here are some memories I have:

She loved to play pranks on people (water on top of the door, short sheeting the bed, shaving cream in shoes....)
She had an amazing faith.
She prayed and read the bible for at least an hour every day.
She loved Mauve and baby blue. She still loves pink.

I will keep adding more. I can see her when she was healthy. I pray that memory doesn't go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment